Gain confidence in your style with fashion tips to design every look in your wardrobe.
- Work your capsule wardrobe. Make sure you have reliable staples in your wardrobe: an iconic little black dress, a pair of jeans that fit perfectly, a classic blazer, simple tees and buttons in neutral colors, and an effortless leather jacket (or denim jacket). . Investing in a collection of mix-and-match basics capsules (and learning how to style them) is the key to looking good.
- Make sure your clothes fit perfectly. One trick to making any garment look amazing is to hire a good tailor. Tailored clothing not only looks polished, it also feels more comfortable. Pants that drag on the floor and dresses that pile up awkwardly won’t make you feel elegant. If your pod wardrobe fits you well, you can start playing with oversized or oversized items in a way that feels fashionable, not sloppy.
- Learn to balance proportions. Balancing proportions is all about designing your outfits to create overall aesthetic harmony. The way you do this is by wearing clothes that fit your body shape. When you want to play with oversized clothes or unusual shapes, make it a fashionable moment by keeping the rest of the look fitted. For example, try pairing a fitted crop top with wide-leg jeans, or a puff-shoulder top with straight-leg pants.
- Find your personal style. Developing a signature style can take years, but you can start by creating a moodboard. Remember that personal style is an experiment; you never know what amazing looks are waiting for you until you are in the dressing room. The categories “men’s clothing” and “women’s clothing” shouldn’t dictate how you shop. Take the time to play with colors and shapes to find what looks good on your unique body.
- Become a better buyer. Learning how to buy exactly what you want will help you avoid cluttering your closet with items you never use. When your wardrobe is made up of pieces that you love, designing an outfit will become second nature.
- Add a belt. Adding a belt to your look is one of the easiest ways to make any outfit look more polished. It’s also a great trick to balance a look that wouldn’t work otherwise, like a long cashmere sweater and a wavy midi skirt.
- Play with color. If you’re nervous about adding color to your look, start with a single colorful piece and keep the rest of your look neutral. As you become more comfortable with colors, you will learn which color combinations work best for your style. Take a look at the color wheel for inspiration.
- Mix patterns and textures. Gone are the days of matching your bag with your shoes. Contrasting textures and prints make a bold fashion statement. Start with neutral patterns like stripes and understated textures like leather and knits, adding sequins and paisleys in small amounts (like a scarf, tie, or tote bag) until you learn what works for you.